Check out Snapshot Musings for our latest makeovers!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Where There's Smoke, There's Fiyah!!

One look that I've always admired but haven't had the good fortune of pulling off, is smoky eyes.  Popularized by celebs like Angelina Jolie and Kim Kardashian, this look is sultry and fierce.  For those who haven't tried smoky eyes, Valentine's Day is around the corner and might be a good opportunity!  Since darker hues bring out and dramatize the eyes, smoky eyes are best paired with a nude or golden bronze lip colour.  Wearing a bright red with a smoky eye might have you looking more like Elvira.



Smoky eyes genuinely work well on any complexion or eye colour.  The blue eyes of sun-kissed blonde, Diane Kruger, appear like unearthed gems against the smoky backdrop.  Notice how her lip colour and make-up is otherwise natural.  It creates a nice balance and allows her eyes to be the focal point.


Kim's smoky eyes above incorporate a purple eyeshadow shade to soften the look.  I'm not too sure if her natural lashes are really this long, but if your lashes are shorter (like mine), fake lashes add to the drama and fanciful nature of the smoky eye look. 




After watching this little tutorial, I'm pretty sure I can master the smoky eye.  I'll have to give it the old college try!  When it comes to makeup, I'm a pretty simple gal.  I'm not one to spend hours on end perusing the makeup counter and the idea of having to search for just the right shadow shades for a smoky eyed look seems tedious.  That's why I was thrilled to find that more and more cosmetic lines are carrying smoky eye shadow sets!



Both of these smoky eye palettes are under $40 and can be found at Sephora.  The first, by Too Faced, is a bit of a better deal as you get applicators and a few more shades so you can try different variations of the look. 


Model Jourdan Dunn looks positively ravishing in this pic.  She's roughly my complexion, so when I try the smoky eyed look, I'll probably aim to mirror this version.  I'll do a few test runs and let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment