The sun is shining today, people are out sauntering the streets, and simply enjoying the warmer weather. Spring is definitely in the air! I am ready to refresh and rejuvenate my wardrobe and have completed my 'wish list' for the season (with more additions to come I'm sure!) Now, it is time to shift my focus and attention for a moment from wardrobe to hair. We have shared our winter hair mane-tenance tips and tricks to help your coif survive the harsh elements of the winter months. We have dressed our manes with various head wear such as berets, toques, fedoras, and knitted beanies, to protect them from the cold. Spring is an opportune time to take a style risk or make an effortless but still significant hair style change. Here are 5 Doable hair trends that make a standout spring statement!!
1. THE NEW SIDE PART - always a timeless classic, but this spring watch out! The Side part is more versatile and looks fab on both long and short hair, straight or curly. LOVE the pony!! Totally will rock this!
Styling Tip: A few of my hairstylist friends told me that the key to finding your perfect part is to place a comb flat against the side of your head. The spot where your head leaves the comb is where the part should be placed. Once you've found your part, you can either pull your hair into a sleek ponytail or secure your curls with a few bobby pins.
Styling Products: Be Curly Curl Enhancer, Aveda, $19, www.aveda.com; Garnier Fructis Style Wet Shine Gel, $4, Shoppers Drug Mart.
2. SHORT AND PUNKY - Calling all style risk-takers! Plunge into 2011 with this punk-inspired cut. The length on top maintains the femininity of this cut, whereas the messy bedhead drama adds some rocker edginess.
Styling Tip: This look is best achieved with an undercut with length on top. When styling, use a texturizing spray when wet, followed by a wax-based product when hair is dry.
Styling Products: Defining Wonder Wax by Davines (www.davines.com), $24. Bouffant Coif Lifting and Texturizing Spray Gel by Fekkai, $23 available at www.sephora.com.
3. THE LOW BUN - Last year was all about the top knot, this spring buns make a downward shift to the nape. Pair this soft, feminine style with sunglasses to add some ultra glam!
Styling Tip: To create this relaxed look, start with a center part. Next, pull your hair into a low ponytail, making sure to cover your ears. Then, twist the low ponytail into a loose knot. Remember to keep the bun loose to achieve a bohemian vibe!
Styling Products: Thickening Lotion 06 Body Builder by Redken, $14.99, www.redken.com; Frizz-Eaze Hair Serum by John Frieda, $9.99, Shoppers Drug Mart.
4. BANG ON!! - The 70's are back with a vengeance this season and the blunt bang look is all over the runways. Check out these alluring, seductive bang looks on these ladies. HOT HOT HOT!!
Styling Tip: To get this look, bangs should be heavy, slightly longer on the sides, and kept below the eyebrows. Layers should be long and flowing, with a slight angle below the chin. Blow dry your bangs with a brush, then spray some hairspray on a comb and comb through to make them look solid and thick.
Styling Products: Blow Out Serious Non-Stick Hairspray by Blow, $19.75, available at www.blowny.com.
5. SWOOP! - I've already seen this look on some fashion savvy Edmontonians and it looks ultra cool!! You can wear this look relaxed and casual to match a jeans and t-shirt day or sleek and sexy for a night out on the town!!
Styling Tip: Super easy look to wear! Loosely pin your bangs to the side either with bobby pins or a barrette. Then use a dry shampoo to add texture or gel for hold and shine.